First European FEdA Conference
Biodiversity and Human Well-Being –
Europe’s Role in Shaping Our Future
Virtual Transdisciplinary Conference
November 9th–11th, 2022
- the conference statement is now available
- the conference summary is now available
- the conference date has been confirmed for November 9th–11th, 2022.
The central importance of sustainable use and protection of biological diversity for the further development of human well-being is increasingly recognised. However, implementation remains difficult and the erosion of biodiversity and natural capital continues to progress, as the global IPBES Report 2019 and the Dasgupta Review 2021 have made clear.
There is no doubt: we need action now! To demand exactly this, thousands of representatives from diverse disciplines of science, society and economy worldwide turned recently towards national and international leaders, in open letters, public statements, or policy briefs (e.g. “A letter to fellow citizens of Earth”, “Berliner Erklärung”, “Scientists warning Europe”, “Business for Nature’s Call to Action”). But time is running out.
High expectations are therefore linked to the “Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (GBF)” which will be adopted at the Convention on Biological Diversity Conference of Parties (COP 15), after three postponements now scheduled for December 2022 in Montreal. In this global context, the EU is having the chance to lead the way, not least with its major sustainability project “Green Deal”. However, are these high expectations justified or do we need to be more ambitious? More specifically:
- Analysed from a transdisciplinary, systemic perspective, are the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, as outlined in the available draft, and the EU Green Deal sufficient and realistic to achieve a short-term reversal of the actual biodiversity loss necessary to safeguard human wellbeing?
- What is the reason for the failure of previous concepts and activities to preserve biodiversity, what can we learn from this and how can we assure the effective implementation of the intended goals?
- How can synergies be created at the European and international scale, at the level of scientists and stakeholders, in order to halt and reverse biodiversity loss and thus contribute to improving human well-being?
To discuss and elucidate these questions, the BMBF Research Initiative for the Conservation of Biodiversity (Forschungsinitiative zum Erhalt der Artenvielfalt, FEdA), funded by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF), invites you to participate at the transdisciplinary digital conference:
Biodiversity and Human Well-Being – Europe’s Role in Shaping Our Future
November 9th–11th , 2022
To allow for a broad transdisciplinary discussion, the conference invites European scientists from all disciplines related to biodiversity, stakeholders from politics, society, economy and the media. More information on the programme and speakers of the event will be available soon on our website.
The program can be found here.